Highlights of “Fifty Years of Seed in the Fiftieth State” Economic Impact Report

Highlights of “Fifty Years of Seed in the Fiftieth State” Economic Impact Report

Highlights of “Fifty Years of Seed in the Fiftieth State” Economic Impact Report

HAWAII CROP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION

/ September 18, 2016 /

The Hawaii seed industry has reached a stage of maturation that has it positioned as the state’s leading agricultural activity and agricultural export. That’s one of the main conclusions in Dr. Paul Brewbaker’s new economic report, entitled “Fifty Years of Seed in the Fiftieth State”.
To follow are the key highlights:

  • The Hawaii seed industry is the state’s leading agricultural activity and agricultural export, and has a value of approximately $150 million dollars for the crop year ending in 2016.

 

  • Seed industry operations fall into two areas, with 55 percent coming from nursery activities; this involves the testing and breeding of improved strains and types of seeds for commercial planting; the rest of the economic impact (45 percent) comes from seed increase activities, or the actual production and growing of seeds that can be harvested and shipped to farmers.

 

  • Using a model developed by the Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT), which measures the economic activity generated by an industry among all counties, the 2015 Hawaii GDP impact was $323 million.
  • Oahu generated $116 million GDP impact, Kauai generated $105 million, and Maui and Molokai (combined) generated $102 million.

 

  • The seed industry differs from conventional agriculture because of its tilt toward research and development.
  • Research into developing hardier strains of maize has positive implications for farmers around the world, who can grow more reliable crops, or grow corn where it would be difficult to do so.
    Because of the higher skill level and knowledge demanded of the seed industry’s science-based jobs, it generates more economic value added per job than conventional agriculture.

To download the full report, visit: http://www.bettercropshawaii.com/home/fifty-years-of-seed-in-the-fiftieth-state/

Close
Close

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

Close

Close